04 December 2009

Thankfulness

Hello There..
Well I hope that y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Filled with lots of friends and family and turkey and PIE! We had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We celebrated on Saturday so that we could have a day off on Sunday. Wednesday found the kitchen full with people baking pies. We have 36 people on Station and baked 31 pies. It was wonderful fun. Dinner went without a hitch and Brock did an amazing job carving the turkey.
The Humpback Whales are HERE! We went out a couple of nights ago and had a fantastic time with two hummpies. They came and checked us out and showed us a lot of tail and the water was like glass and it was almost 30 degrees outside. So beautiful. Summer in Antarctica.. can't beat it.
Well this weekend brings us two days off. We where suppose to have it over Thanksgiving, but the LMG came in and gave us 5 journalist for Thanksgiving and dropped off some fuel for a field camp. It's quiet fun to have these folks around. They will be here for 3 weeks. They come from all sorts of different back grounds, but they all write or produce science related items. One guy, Jason,  http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/freeze_frame/  works for NPR and National Geographic as a photo journalist. It's been so fun to talk to him and hear his stories. He has done some amazing things. Don't think I will be throwing THAT business card away soon. :) Angela is from Columbia http://blogs.sciencemag.org/sciencecareers/  but now lives in Miami and writes for a science magazine and also is an author of young teen related science mysteries. She is fun. A bundle of energy and love. If you click on the link above and scroll down... you can see a pic of me ( not a good one but still... :)
Scott is from St. Louise and does mostly international coverage, has been all over the world and has a very "down to earth..normal guy" approach to writing. He's funny.
The NBP (Nathanial B. Palmer) came by yesterday and picked up their fuel for the field camps and stayed for about 5 hours. It was fun to see and hug some old friends. It is always a constant reminder just how small this world is.
This weekend I am going to go camp at Old Palmer over night. It will be fun to be "farther" away from station and camping. Old Palmer is the first original sight of the station when the Navy came down here in 1965     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer_Station    It is a beautiful spot and has a whole new view and outlook to Anvers Island. :)
I can't believe that it is already December and Christmas is just around the corner. I'm trying to sneak in a few Christmas songs here and there in my IPod mix.. See if anyone notices. :)
I do have bad news.... My nice Canon camera died... It gave me a ERR 99. Which in Canon talk means "there is so much going on right now that is broken I am going to send you just ONE overall ERROR message." OUCH! So I am going to send it back to Canon and see what happens. Luckily I have my canon powershot and other folks on station with nice camera's are going to let me use theirs. I want to make sure I get my beloved Skua's...
As I am writing this, I can hear Dan in the kitchen talking about his beer. I don't know if I told y'all that we have an "official" beer maker on station. That is his job. He has gone to school for this. He is just down here with his girlfriend Maggie as science support, but otherwise.. he makes beer. He brought all of his stuff and he turns out some AMAZING BEER! He has been making a batch every weekend. We are up to 3 beers now in the bar and 2 more coming out for Christmas. What a treat. Today is Pale Ale day.. I've attached a few photos of him rolling the barley.
OK, so this is dragging on so I will let you go. I've put some new photos up of whales and icebergs and penguins and lots and lots of ice and snow. :) Also Thanksgiving pics.
I hope that this finds you all happy and wearing DUCK GREEN  If you don't know what that means.. The University of Oregon  DUCKS won last night over the Oregon State Beavers and are heading to the Rose Bowl... Wahhhooo! Plus a picture of the BEAUTIFUL carrot cake Diane made last night for Maggie's Birthday. She is so good... :)
Thank you again for allowing me to share this adventure with y'all and for all your support and encouragement. What a blessing y 'all are.
Have a great weekend.
Stace
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8448893@N05/

No comments:

Post a Comment